Saturday, August 13, 2011

A Weekend Treat: Coconut Pancakes

Breakfast lovers rejoice!  These pancakes taste like pancakes.  The consistency is pretty good - if you don't overcook them they are moist and fluffy.   If you do overcook them (which is easy to do when you are learning!) They are still good, just a little crumbly and drier.  As you practice you'll get better and you'll be able to enjoy pancakes whenever you want to, just like when you were a kid.  My husband and I were giddy with delight (and the maple syrup sugar rush) chowing down on these this morning!

I found this recipe after a bit of a search online.  I specifically wanted these pancakes to taste  like the pancakes Mom used to make.  I found lots of tasty looking recipes calling for banana or almond butter as the base, but knew those wouldn't taste quite the same as old fashioned pancakes, so I went with this awesome recipe from the Leftover Queen.  She has some great ideas, make sure to check her blog out!
  
Pancakes
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- butter for frying

Preheat your oven to 250 degrees.

In a medium bowl, I beat the eggs until they were frothy, as you can see in the first picture below.  Then, I folded in the milk, yogurt, honey, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon.  Next, I added the baking soda and coconut flour, mixing everything together until everything was smoothly blended.  The mixtures was thick and kind of gloopy, but smelled heavenly.



Butter your griddle pan and spoon the batter onto it.  Since the batter is thick, the pancakes can get a little thick - I used my 1/4 cup measuring cup and patted the tops to get a good sized pancake shape going.  My pancakes were around 3-4 inches in diameter.  Mine got dark very easily - but part of that is due to the fact that I was being lazy and also cooking my bacon and breakfast sausage links on the same pan.  I would recommend cooking the pancakes on medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes per side.  


I would put the finished pancakes on my cookie tin in the oven to keep them warm while I finished making my batch of pancakes.  This amount of batter made 10 pancakes for me, which meant we had enough to gorge today and still have some for tomorrow!

1 comment: