Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Garlic Jack Cheese, Pesto, and Bacon Steaks


Yay for steaks!  This meal is classic, and the loaded steaks make you want to lick the plate.

The Meat
- 3-4 petite sirloin steaks
- salt, pepper to taste

The Veggies
- 1 cup broccoli
- 2 yellow potatoes, cubed
- 1 white potato, cubed
- 6-8 cloves garlic, diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease
- basil, salt, pepper, oregano to taste

The Sauce
Garlic Jack Cheese, crumbled
- 3 strips of bacon
 - 1 (packed) cup of basil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- lemon juice to taste

To start I cubed my potatoes, diced the onion and garlic, and tossed all three together into a medium sized saute pan with the bacon grease.  I seasoned liberally and let them cook on high heat for around 10 minutes, stirring every minute or so.  


While the potatoes were frying, I made the bacon on my griddle pan and also pulsed together my pesto sauce.  To make the pesto sauce, I used my Cuisinart Blender and Food Processor.  I blended together my basil, garlic, pine nuts, olive oil, lemon juice, and parmesan cheese, pulsing and scraping down large chunks to make sure everything was smooth and consistent.  I crumbled the bacon and let it cool a little before mixing it into the pesto sauce.  Last ingredient into the sauce was the crumbled Garlic Jack Cheese.  That cheese is so good, we've been eating a lot of it lately!



After the veggies cooked for 10 minutes, I added the broccoli and lowered the heat.  I let the veggies cook for another 8 minutes or so while I made the steaks.  


To prepare the steaks I used the same griddle pan I made my bacon on, and used the leftover grease to get some extra flavor into the meat.  I cooked my steaks on high heat for around 4 minutes per side, or until the centers were pink when I cut into the steaks.  


When everything was done cooking, I plated the meals, making sure to smother a lot of the sauce onto the steaks - you'll want to ensure you get sauce with each bite, because it is soooooo good.

No comments:

Post a Comment