Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Pesto Bruschetta Salmon


Who DOESN'T love pesto?  The basil, the olive oil, the garlic...omnomnom.  And Pesto goes so well on so many different things...like salmon!  I mixed diced tomato, onion, and oregano into my pesto to make a bruschetta style sauce with a big of crunch and extra kick to pair with the mild salmon flavors.  

The Meat
- 2-3 fillets of sock eye salmon
- salt, pepper, dill to taste

The Veggies
- 2 yellow potatoes, sliced
- 1 cup green beans, tips trimmed
- 1 cup spinach, raw
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease
- salt, pepper to taste

The Sauce
 - 1 (packed) cup of basil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- lemon juice to taste
- 1 small slicing tomato, diced
- 1/2 onion, diced

To prepare the veggies, I boiled them all together with the water and bacon grease, seasoning lightly.  I cooked everything on high heat in a medium sized pan for around 15-20 minutes until most of the water had boiled away and the potatoes were soft.  


I cooked the salmon fillets on high heat with my griddle pan, flipping every 4 minutes or so until the salmon was opaque and flaky, around 8-12 minutes depending on the size of your fillets.  I seasoned them lightly, and when time to serve smothered the fish with my sauce. 


In a blender or food processor, I blended together my basil, garlic, pine nuts, olive oil, lemon juice, and parmesan cheese, pulsing and scraping down large chunks to make sure everything was smooth and consistent.  I tossed in the tomato and onion with a spoon.  


*If you don't want to go about the business of making you own pesto, I won't judge you if you buy pre-made pesto from the store.  

This meal is easy to make, slightly less easy to clean up (due to the blender), and all over delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment