Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Savory Baked Salmon

I love salmon.  I love dousing it in dill sauce, smothering it in dijonnaise, barbecuing it, and so on and so forth. But sometimes I like it baked plain*, with just a little bit of spice and lemon.  


*Plain doesn't mean there isn't work involved preparing your meal, sorry.  Not on my blog, anyway.

The Meat
- 2 servings of sockeye salmon fillets
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- savory, dill, bay leaf, salt, pepper to taste
- 1/2 large slicing tomato, sliced (duh)
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- capers (as much as you want)

The Veggies
- 1 bunch broccoli
- 1 cup of carrots
- 1/2 red onion, sliced and diced
- 1 cup water
- salt, pepper, paprika to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

I had a bunch of giant, delicious slicing tomatoes in my Farm Fresh delivery box this week, so I decided it would make a nice addition to the salmon tonight.  I placed the salmon in my baking dish, spooned on the lemon juice, and spiced my fish.  Then I threw a ton of capers onto the salmon.  I layered the slices of tomatoes on top of the fish and dotted them with the butter and a bit of salt.  I tossed it into the oven for 20 minutes.  If your pieces of fish are extra big, check it at 20 minutes, but don't let it go past 25 minutes or your fish will be too dry.  Cooking it like this makes sure that it is flaky, soft, and juicy on the inside, but properly baked and crispy on the outside.  


I stuck the broccoli and carrots into my steamer tonight.  I steamed the broccoli and carrots for 20 minutes.  After 10 minutes I added the sliced red onion - I didn't want the onion to be too mushy or stringy so they didn't need to stay in the steamer as long. 


This dinner is easier on the prep than most of my meals, but still tastes great.  It's perfect for a warm evening!


No comments:

Post a Comment