Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Thai Basil Curry Crockpot Goodness

I. Love. My. Crockpot.  We received it as a gift for our wedding in the spring, and ever since then I use it regularly to make delicious curries and slow-cooked meats.  I love it because I will make the meal right before I go to bed, and when we wake up in the morning, we open the bedroom door and our entire home is drenched with delicious aromas.  Then I send my husband off with his Thermos.  This is a great Thai curry with lots of savory spice and hints of coconut.  





The Meat
- 1 pound of beef stew meat

The Veggies
- 1/2 head cauliflower
- 8-10 carrots
- 3 yellow potatoes, skinned and chopped into large pieces
- 1/3 eggplant, chopped into large pieces
- 2 summer squashes, chopped into large pieces

The Sauce
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons Thai chili paste
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1-2 teaspoons tamarind puree
- 1 teaspoon tapioca starch
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- salt, garlic powder, lemongrass powder, basil, coriander to taste






Chop all your veggies the night before, and toss the raw meat and veggies in the crock pot.  I make my veggie pieces extra large, because they get so soft in the Crockpot that if they are small they will literally cook away to nothing.  Mix together the sauce (or, you could be lazy and buy World Foods' Thai Basil Curry Stir-Fry Sauce.  It has sugar in it, but is gluten free, and has no artificial preservatives or genetically modified ingredients.  Use the whole jar).  Pour the sauce over the veggies and meat, turn the Crockpot on "low" heat, and let it cook overnight (around 6-8 hours).  Go to sleep.





When I wake up, the first thing I do is open my eyes and wish I could sleep later...then I get up and go turn the Crockpot setting to "warm." I send my husband to work with a Thermos of curry and some crunchy apple slices and nuts.  The veggies and meat are SO soft, they melt in your mouth.  I use a slotted spoon to get the curry from the Crockpot to the bowl/thermos, because there is usually greasy liquid at the bottom of the Crockpot.  It is tasty too though if you feel like splashing some into your meal.





No comments:

Post a Comment