Monday, August 1, 2011

Tomato-Basil Cream Sauce with Pork Cutlets

Oh how I love fresh basil.  We got some in our farmers' market box this week and I couldn't wait to make a tomato-basil cream sauce to smother on top of some perfectly thin cut pork cutlets.  When tenderized and cooked properly, the pork reminds us of veal, an extravagance we rarely indulge in.  





The Meat
- 6 thinly sliced center cut pork loin cutlets
- salt, pepper to taste
- a pinch of fresh basil, finely chopped


The Veggies
- 2 small purple potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 turnip, cubed
- 2 summer squashes, sliced
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 3 heirloom carrots, sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon butter
- oregano, thyme, rosemary, marjoram, garlic powder to taste


The Sauce

- 1 tablespoon of sunflower oil or olive oil based mayonnaise (gluten and soy free)
- 1/3 cup of heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh red tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon of capers
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 bunch fresh basil, finely chopped

I boiled the purple potatoes, turnip, and carrots together in my 3" deep saute pot with the water, seasoning, and butter for around 25 minutes.  After around 15 minutes I added the broccoli and squash.  By the end of the cooking time, most of the water had boiled away and everything was soft and delicious.

I prepped for my sauce by chopping up all the basil.  I mixed everything together and sauteed it on low for 15 minutes in a small saute pan.  The sauce is rich and creamy and has tang.  We love it and use it often as a go-to for an Italian style sauce.

I tenderized the pork cutlets with my great tenderizer and sprinkled them with salt, pepper, and a bit of the finely chopped basil.  I cooked them on my griddle pan for around 4 minutes per side.  

After everything was cooked I layered the pork on top of the veggies, then spooned the sauce on top of everything.  We love the tenderness of the meat and how great the sauce is.


No comments:

Post a Comment